Thursday 31 May 2012

The New Age Misfit



Yeah, so that’s no compliment to me but even I can take criticism on my chin you know. After all, if a problem exists, the first thing you should do is face it upfront right? But what if I don’t think there is a problem at all? In an age when people can’t think beyond their ipods and 3G Phones, I am still happy using my Nokia X3 with basic GPRS and a mere 2 GB memory card. Obviously that qualifies me and my phone as obsolete and not ‘in tune’ with the times. You see, we are a generation of people constantly on the move- when it comes to our relationships, homes, hobbies, career, jobs, fashion, brands, lifestyles, salaries, sexual preferences and so on. Welcome to the 21st century of terrestrial beings who give new meaning to the term ‘upwardly mobile’.  And forsake many a treasured moment, item, belief, memory and habit that used to make us a lot more well...real.

So you know you are on the other side of the fence when you find yourself agreeing to more than 5 of the below mentioned statements:

1) I love Indian classical music and can differentiate a santoor from a sarod. Shiv Kumar Sharma, Zakir Hussain and Amjad Ali Khan are revered maestros I ache to listen to and am proud of the illustrious musical heritage they will leave behind.  Kishori Amonkar and Pt.Jasraj are vocalists par excellence and you are missing out on a huge part of a rich musical legacy if you haven’t heard them yet.

2) I think going to pubs, discos and lounge bars are social activities I enjoyed as a teenager. Loud blaring music, smoky interiors, people dancing on the floor check by jowl , drinking to a wild stupor and a lot of hooting and rowdiness is soooo not me anymore!



3) The principal use of a mobile phone is to take and make calls or send and receive messages. If you are additionally chatting, listening to music, clicking pictures, surfing the net and watching movies/videos on the phone all day apart from having that phone stuck to your ear 24/7 you are definitely missing out on a journey called life on the way.

4) Following upcoming trends in fashion can give me a headache. Who cares if the new black is yellow? Imagine if everyone around you started dressing up to look like sunflowers, had their hair spiked and gelled and wore flip flops at work every day just because it was the ‘in thing’ at the moment. Thank you very much but I would rather keep out than keep up.

5) Social networking can be fun no doubt but you won’t find me signed up on every Godforsaken site on the planet and my average amount of time spent on twitter and facebook would be less than how much time I take to drink a cup of tea every day.

6) I like to smell the crispness of the paper when I read a book. There is something deeply satisfying in turning the pages of a book and placing a personalised bookmark when I am done reading. E books are for those who have never understood the joys of traversing through the realms of bookshelves in a library, being able to hold them in your hand and take pleasure in the tactile sensations it passes through you. And only I know how possessive I am of that beautiful literary collection in my bookcase back home.

7) When it comes to books, I won’t exactly say I am ‘well read’ if I have devoured the Harry Potter and Twilight series and all of Chetan Bhagat. Sorry to disappoint but Mills & Boons, chick lit, best sellers and comic books also don’t count.

8) Have you ever experienced the joy of having someone send you a love letter? Well I have and trust me, no amount of e mails eulogising love can beat a single handwritten letter that does the same!

9) What’s with people lapping up jokes on anything and everything including taking digs at female anatomy, obesity, differently abled humans, mute animals and senior citizens? NOT FUNNY! (Sajid Khan, are you listening?)

10) I still believe in the institution of marriage.

4 comments:

  1. I am a new age Misfit! and I like it that way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ogi,

    Reading this post felt like I was talking to you, face-to-face. Lets see, looks like I agree to most, except point 2... that I kinda need every month. I enjoy dressing up and hanging out, some booty shaking and chilling, if you must! And I have taken to beer these days, love the crisp taste of this bitter fermented liquid. lol. And your point 8, oh man, I pity those who don't make contact with paper.... no amount of tactile feedback can give you that sensation. Just like a body pillow cannot replace a human being. Point 9- 'Bollywood trash', The bad news is: even Bangalore (which used to be untouched by Bollywood) has been attacked by B-town's predators. Damn! But at the end of the day, we are survivors, we will live it up, as we please. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww...(hugs)...miss you babe! :)

    ReplyDelete