Wednesday 30 July 2014

The Pihu Diary- Gearing up


My second trimester also advanced speedily. Looked like this wasn't as bad as people made it out to be. I was eating and sleeping well, was active and able to cook and do any daily chores around the house without feeling exhausted. So far so good until one night in my sixth month when I couldn't sleep a wink. It will increase in your third trimester I was told. Gulp! Really now. This wasn't something I had signed up for. Then came the breathlessness on doing simple actions like taking the stairs and talking at a stretch.

The third trimester brought with it weight gain, an inability to change sides while sleeping without wincing, swelling up of feet so that soon I couldn't fit into my own shoes. Giving up on heels was one thing, not being able to walk in flats as well was unbelievable. It was all happening! Anxiety about the actual delivery as the d day drew closer started keeping me awake at nights. Saying goodbye to my professional life for a while and may be for a whole lot longer than I would like started looming ahead.

I started mentally preparing myself for the long break. Encouraging my team in office that all would be ok and that they would manage just fine without me became part of my exit mode pep talks. Internally I was wondering how I would manage not being a full-time professional! My last week of work approaching, I felt disappointed when I was told my management didn't encourage working from home. What was I going to do with all the spare time? Thankfully, fate had other things in store for me

No comments:

Post a Comment