Wednesday 10 September 2014

A Lover's Lament


I can be your lover but I cannot be your friend
Because I wish to hold your hand right till the end.
I want to stand through every storm, every hurdle around the bend.
For I am the warrior on whom you can always depend.

The first time I saw you I knew we would have a story,
Between us we could weave a fairytale,  eternal with all it's glory.
In a truly fated match, our lives were meant to seamlessly blend,
That's why I can only be your lover, and I cannot be your friend.

The world compels me to stay apart, repress the feelings of my heart.
Why must I sacrifice myself at the altar of convention, to which I claim no part.
I fail to fathom these orthodox sermons, they are not mine to apprehend.
Because I believe I can only be your lover, but I cannot be your friend.

You may push me to the brink, refuse to acknowledge my presence.
But I forever pledge to be yours, happily ensconced in your essence.
I am compelled to stay true to you, whether you accept or offend.
Your every doubt I can tend, every mistake amend for dear heartbreaker I can only be your lover, but I cannot be your friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment