Monday 1 August 2016

The Pihu Diary: Turning two= twice the trouble!


Parents are the most vulnerable set of adults you will ever find this side of the century, especially when they happen to have a nuclear family set-up. Being bread- winners and caretakers may seem part of the basic plot, but that’s hardly skimming the surface. Bending over backwards in order to keep their kids in place while managing to ignore every other concern on the planet including personal well-being comes as a guaranteed twist to their plan of action. And believe it or not, this realisation hits you pretty early, in fact as soon as your kid hits the dreaded age of two.

When a lot of parents warned me about kids in their terrible twos and having seen some of them myself, I lent a sympathetic ear and nodded my head rather sagely but little did I know it encompassed every little kid in its ambit- no matter how docile or well-behaved he or she might seem early on. So when Pihu approached the wild and whacky phase of toddlerhood, I least imagined keeping my fingers crossed every time she took a nap hoping I would get some ‘me time’ or at least attend to an odd chore here or an urgent errand there. And before you know it, my very socially amiable and quick on the uptake tiny tot was all over the house, scurrying across to every prohibited nook and corner, raiding my boudoir and seizing everything ‘adult’ within her puny hand’s reach, from her granny’s specs to her dad’s laptop. No matter what she lay eyes on, if it was within touching distance, it must be held, hot or cold, sharp or blunt, greasy or dry, liquid or solid,…I think you get the picture.

As a new parent determined to prove my mettle when it came to being attentive and meticulous while safeguarding my child from any potential danger, I started developing a sixth sense. Gaining insights in to future risks by studying behavioural patterns and mood swings helped me get premonitions about what could possibly be her next move. This was essential to nip the adventurous spirit of my child in the bud before her next fall or injury. As a compensatory token of appreciation, I must pat my back for securing this precarious sense of victory no matter how short-lived by catching her before she slipped on a wet floor, toppled the contents of a bottle of lotion, broke a glass container or misplaced a set of keys. Unfortunately, I also couldn’t stop her from doing much more as it sunk in that no matter how smart you think you may be, there is someone two steps ahead even at a teensie-weensie fraction of your age. That however, does not mean you can admit defeat and wave the white flag just yet because no matter how cumbersome it may be, seeing her in some sort of trouble is too nerve-wracking a thought to ignore her antics. In other words, you can’t run, and you can’t hide.

On the bright side, Pihu’s constant need for activity means she has begun to exercise her exploratory bent of mind, learn through observation and imitation and exhibit large and fine motor skills. She can swap and change sizes of pictures on a mobile screen besides typing out digits, she can identify every person by relation and picks up new words everyday enough to form sentences that are coherent and clear in thought and speech. She gets excited by the name of ‘school’ enough to wake up and brush her teeth herself everyday, likes to pick her clothes when going out and prefers to dine at the table with adults with her own set of cutlery all by herself. So much growth at such speed sometimes does make you wonder about God’s way of creating and making us adapt to our environments so naturally. With so much energy and intellectual capacity, what exactly is going on in the mind of a two year old? Does a child this young have the ability to understand what she is up against and the worldly expectations that are fast piling up on her? Or is she content knowing that she simply exists, can run about and scream and shout without a care? I may be wrong but it’s hard to miss the look of sheer satisfaction when she is lying beside her mom and dad on both sides, with one arm around one’s neck and her other hand fondling the other’s ear. It’s a look that says here I am and this is what makes me happy. I am the link between both of you and this is where I belong. It’s a fact that is irrefutable and full of promise and a thought that is as comforting as it is exciting at the same time.

1 comment: